Monday, November 21, 2011

Make it Monday

This weeks Make it Monday was inspired by a pin I saw on Pinterest. I have been admiring the advent calendars I have seen all over Pinterest but I currently have so much on my "to make" list for Christmas presents I didn't think I had time to make or attempt to make something overly time consuming. When I saw a pin for these goodie packets I thought that's it!

First you take a plain paper bag and cut it open. Typically I cut down the seam and then around the bottom until the bag is in a rectangle. You will then fold the rectangle in half, then in half again and again in what teachers describe as a "hot dog" fold. Then you need to fold in half the other way into a "hamburger" fold.

When you have your bag nicely folded draw a design for your ornaments. I did a tree, bell, ornament and a star. You will need some heavy duty scissors to cut out your design. When you cut out the design you will cut out multiple ones.You will need to make sure you cut out twice as many as you need. I had four designs so I needed six packets of each shape for the 24 packets for the advent calendar. So I had to make sure I had 12 of each shape after I cut them out.

Place two shapes together with the printing on the inside and the plain brown facing the outside. Sew around the shape making sure to leave an opening of about 1". Decorate each packet however you would like. I think glitter would make these really cute but seeing as when I gave Emersyn the pen's to decorate some of them I got this

I thought it was best to just leave ours with water soluble markers.

Mark each packet with a number 1-24 and punch a hole in the top of each. Fill each packet with goodies. I used M&M's and Hersey's Kisses. Then sew up the opening of the packets. I then strung the ornament packets on a red piece of yarn and hung it on the wall to wait for the first day of December.

1 comment: